Lawrence Boya, Director: Smart City Programme, City of Johannesburg
I am a Director in the City of Johannesburg heading the Smart City Office which is responsible to provide leadership, coordination, and programme management of the Smart City Programme of the CoJ. I have over two decades of experience as a senior executive in different spheres and sectors of government in the Republic of South Africa.
During this period in local and provincial government, I have been responsible for the following;
• Chief Director: Development planning – Gauteng Provincial Government (1995-96)
• Urban Development – former Southern Sub-Structure of the City of Johannesburg Metro (1996-2000)
• Regional Director – former Region 4 of the City of Johannesburg Metro (2000-2004)
• Head of Department – Eastern Cape Department of Health (2004-2009)
• Acting Executive Director: Infrastructure and Services – City of Johannesburg Metro (2010-2012)
• Acting Managing Director: Pikitup, a Waste Management Company of the City of Johannesburg (2011 – 2012)
• Independent Urban Development Strategy Consultant – 2012 –2014
• Project Manager: Public Transport Facilities Management, City of Johannesburg Metro – 2014 – 2017
• Smart City Leader and Director: City of Johannesburg Metro – From 2017
I have qualifications in Politics and Sociology from University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, and have done post graduate studies in Development Studies, University of Stockholm, Sweden.